I have always enjoyed reading about creation of jdm aero components for cars on the internet. Even if it gives a little bit of insight of how these parts, that each one of us appreciates and uses on their cars are created.
Since I owned my Altezza, I always found that it lacked something on the roof, and none of the alternatives were to my liking. What a perfect opportunity to give this aero mumbo jumbo a go. How hard can it be, right?
So in 2015 I gave it my best go to create something from scratch using anything and everything I could get my hands on. And for a while I was happy with the results…For a while…
2016 came around, and my work became a victim of the Scottish weather. So I decided to give it another go, this time kinda properly.
So without reinventing too much, mainly due to lazyness, I took what was left of the wing as a base shape to work with.
Initial mould, that will be binned once Im done with it.
Popped that mould off and laid a few layers of fiberglass in it. This will be the top part of the roof wing. The base was made to replicate the window line exactly.
With top and base made & bonded together, the visible part underside was next. Some expanding foam & fiberglass later I had the rough shape. That’s the easy part done.
After the extremely boring process of getting the fine details which involved a load of filler and many hours of sanding, the roof wing was ready to be moulded.
Top part done
Flipped over, removed the flanges and moulded the bottom part
So a checkpoint has been reached. That was the end of the original part, it no longer had any uses.
The result of the long hours spent in the tiny shoebox garage with minimal equipment will speak for itself.
Time to move on to something else.